Well we finally did it. We renovated our first room. Admittedly, it is the smallest room in the house and it took us the better part of six weeks to complete, but we eventually got there, without killing one another. So here it is, the story of our new loo....
The two toilets in the house are... how shall i put it... um...well....beyond saving. When it comes to the unique features of our house, i refer to the toilets as the 'Pièce de Résistance' which in our case translates to 'resistance to piss'. Or to go anywhere near the toilet.
The toilets are hooked up to bore water which has left them looking like this...
We decided to start with the outside toilet because a), we really don't know what we are doing and b), we are probably going to be moving the inside bathroom to make way for a bigger kitchen.
So after seeing how cheap toilets are at bunnings, we jumped straight in thinking that if we fail miserably, we'd only lose a couple of hundred dollars. How hard could it be? I called my handy dad who assured me that replacing a toilet was a piece of cake and could easily be done in less than an hour.
Well I am here to tell you that in our case (cue Jerry Springer voice) 'That Is A Lie!'. I can confirm however, that after we spent six weeks installing said toilet, it did take us approximately one hour to agree upon the placement of the $7 bunnings toilet roll holder.
You see, Jamie and I sit at opposite ends of the Plan it/Wing it continuum.
Jamie is what you would call a 'perfectionist', a 'planner', a 'lets have everything just right before we start' kinda guy where as I am what you would call a 'winger', a 'that'll do', a 'lets just see what happens and hope for the best' kinda girl. And as much as I have come to appreciate the details that he pays attention to that I would otherwise overlook, 'perfection' is a painfully slow process. Like having-teeth-pulled-painfully-slow. Even more so if it's something we haven't done before.
But it is finally finished. And by finished, I mean 95% complete as we still need to hang the new door and move the light switch into the this room as its in another room for some unknown reason. But the toilet is usable and it works! With no leaks which has given us the momentum to move onto the next project. At this rate, we are on track to have the whole house finished just in time to move into a nursing home. Here's some before, during and afters...
So lets take a look at before...
After pulling out the toilet in disgust, we figured we may as well paint and tile before we installed the new one. We contemplated going all out and lining the walls to cover the besser blocks, but you know, budget, so we just gap filled and painted.
We painted the room in Taubmans untinted semi gloss white. We did one coat of primer and two coats of paint. Then it was on to the tiling.
Not really thinking ahead, I chose tiles that would cause someone with OCD - AKA Jamie - nightmares if not layed correctly. So that in itself was a process. They are encaustic-look tiles (also called cement tiles - but these ones don't need sealing). I think you either love them or hate them. Personally, i love them.
We discovered the bunnings $30 tile cutter is actually a piece of crap. The first few cuts were fine, but after that, the aluminium ridge had flattened at one end and turned into a big problem which caused Mr Perfectionist much anxiety. MUCH anxiety. The project was put on hold another week until a suitable replacement was found (a particular blade for the angle grinder).
I strategically left the glueing down of the tiles to Jamie, not wanting to be held responsible if any of the tiles weren't perfectly aligned and level. I think he did a great job but he was very disappointed in himself as apparently two of the joins are slightly out of whack by a millimetre here and there. He continued to go on about it while I was grouting and for a couple of days later, venting his extreme remorse for such carelessness. I suggested he seek counselling to move past it so that we could finally install the toilet.
Once we figured out the right fittings to extend the outlet pipe, fitting the new toilet was actually in fact, pretty easy. Of course, making sure it was perfectly centred took most of the time. So much time. Apparently one eighth of a millimetre out is not acceptable. By this stage, I'm starting to wonder how Jamie manages to live with someone like me. Even deciding exactly where to place the toilet seat was a mini ordeal.
By this stage, I've started drinking and am rolling my eyes behind his back thinking 'just screw the flipping lid on already'.
So with the toilet finally in place , it was on to the finishing touches...
And last but not least, the $7 bunnings toilet roll holder...
So there you have it. We have made some progress! It took way longer than it should have but we are pretty pleased with how it's turned out and now it's onto the next room. Here's another picture of how it's looking now...
Voila! We have a new, sparkling, white toilet.
Paint/undercoat: Approximately $50.00 total
(Undercoat - Taubmans 3 in 1 sealer/primer) (Taubmans Interior easy coat semi gloss white)
Silicon: $9.89 (Selley's wet area)
Tiles: $200 (2.5m @ $80m2 - The Tile Mob)
Tile Adhesive: $15.00 (half a packet of Dunlop superset tile adhesive)
Grout: $4.50 (used half a packet of Davco grout in Basalt)
Toilet roll holder: $7.98
Pine (for shelf): $20.00
Light fitting:$59.00 (bunnings)
Ceramic toilet: $129.00 (bunnings)
Fittings: $8.00 (bunnings)
Grand total: $516.57